Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The News Gets Even Better


After a bit of a scare this weekend (a tiny bit of bleeding and I freaked out), the doctor sent us for an early sonogram. I'm 8 weeks -- a critical period -- and we were worried about miscarriage. Since we weren't due to hear the heartbeat until our next prenatal appointment on October 17th, I was very anxious. The technician checked out my uterus, ovaries and then went for the embryo (btw, it's not a fetus until 10 weeks). After what felt like 15 minutes waiting, I questioned what the dark splotches were on the screen and if there was heartbeat. She pointed to the dark splotch and said here's the baby -- AND HERE'S ANOTHER!!!!! Yes, we're having twins. Yes, we are freaking out. This only happens 1.1% of the time naturally, so I guess we're just super lucky and fertile. They are fraternal or dizygotic, which means they have their own sacs. From what we've read, we have 50/50 odds of them being same sex or both sexes. We're excited and scared and DYING to tell everyone, but we're waiting until week 12, just to be safe. She said everything looks great -- totally normal for 8 weeks. The heartbeats were 172 and 181, for Baby A and B. My doc says to rest this week and then I can go back to the gym. I also have to take 500 extra miligrams of calcium. For those of you who are wondering, I feel great. I have not had morning sickness at all; I only feel a bit tired. I am incredibly lucky -- to be carrying twins and to feel so well. P.S. I've included the first pics of the babies. It's amazing!

No comments: