Sunday, October 4, 2009

10 Miles for the Girls


When I was pregnant I thought a great motivator for getting back into shape would be to sign up for a race. Today I ran the Army 10 miler. I had 3.5 months to train (since I was not allowed to exercise for about 6 weeks). I ran a long run and 2 short runs each week and ran 10 miles twice while training. It took some real motivation to go running when you're only sleeping 4 hours at a stretch, but it was so worth it. I got my old body back pretty quick and I feel healthy and fit.
It was a marvelous day and I've never had a better run (meaning I felt great the entire time and feel really good post-run...I was definitely slower than my old pace, but I expected as much). According to my GPS watch, I ran 10.19 miles at a 9:11 pace, but the official race results say I ran 9:21, which is still pretty darn good if you ask me. All of my training runs were at 9:45-ish pace, so a great improvement. David and the girls were there to root me on with incredibly cute signs with the girls' footprints and saying like "Run Mommy Run" and "Our Mom Rocks" taped to the stroller (courtesy of Angela!). It did it for Evelyn and Sylvia; they don't need an unhealthy or chubby Mommy (I guess for David too). :)

No comments: