Sunday, February 15, 2009

"Perfect Incubator"


We had another ultrasound this week and the girls are growing like weeds! They are 2.6 pounds (Baby A) and 2.3 pounds (Baby B). They are in the 43% and 31% percentiles respectively (that's for a single baby); the perinatologist said they are in the 50-60% percentile for twins, which she was very pleased about. She commented (again!) that their hearts are "beautiful" and that I'm the perfect incubator for the girls. My cervix is still long (4cm) and closed; under 3 cm is when they are concerned. She said that since I'm beyond 24 weeks, cervix shortening isn't typically an issue. She also said 32 weeks is the "chip shot"...meaning (I'm no golfer) that that's the goal for keeping the babies in and that they require less assistance and time in the NICU. Given my track record so far, it's not looking like 3.5 more weeks will be an issue. And, besides not having a completely restful sleep each night, I feel great!



The girls are very active (part of the reason I can't sleep). The violent thrusts I feel on my left is Baby A's butt and hipflexors (baby will have BACK!); she is still breech and 1/2 way transverse (looking over to the right side and Baby B's feet). Baby B I feel less because she's in the right position (head down and facing up); I mostly feet kicking.



According to my week by week guide, they are sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing their eyes, and perhaps even sucking their fingers (they weren't sucking in the ultrasound). With more brain tissue developing, the babies' brain is very active now. While their lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were to be born now.



The only decent photo the doctor got was of their feet; they are very shy (even though we refer to them as the "Party Girls"). It's tough to get a good shot when someone else is blocking the view.



We'll have another ultrasound in 4 weeks (that's 31 weeks).

No comments: