Monday, March 30, 2009

Life Savers!




There are two items that I would not have been able to live without during this pregnancy -- worldwide protien shakes and antacid tablets.

Life Saver #1 -- Protien Shakes. As you may remember from early on, I read that when carrying twins protien consumption is essential for development and one should have 80-100 grams a day! To give you perspective, eggs have 7 grams, 8oz of milk has 8 grams, chicken breast (size of a deck of cards) has about 25. There's no way I would be able to eat that much protien in a day! Therefore, I found the perfect substitute -- protien shakes with 35 grams! I have one for breakfast every day! They don't taste bad; they are pretty sweet like chocolate milk. They have only 2 grams of carb (so low in sugar) and 160 calories.

Life Saver #2 -- Antacid tables (AKA Tums!). A very common side effect of pregnancy is indigestion or heartburn. I've never had heartburn in my life before getting pregnant. I have no idea what triggers it, but it often sets in at night, when I lie down. I have a little "candy" jar next to my bed filled with "assorted fruit flavored" tums. They have 425mg of calicum too, so with my prenatal vitamin, calcium supplement, dairy consumption and tums, the babies should definitely have strong bones!

There you have it. Just a quick post to pay tribute to the little things that help me out every day!

No comments: